Stanleys

Stanleys

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Family Garden

This is our second year doing a garden and we wanted to go big or go home! It was our first year in our new home and we definitely had the land for it. We started it from a grass field which was hard and gave us tons of weeds. Ryan started by tilling up the land a few times to break up the deep roots.



Haha it didnt take too long before the grass grew right back. I started working on getting out a little patch at a time and mowed the rest down




We used our awesome sun room to grow a lot of our seeds so they had a head start when we planetd them in the garden.



Everything we planted!


I didnt do the best documenting everything we got from the garden but I got a few pictures

 
First lettuce!

This was the garden before we left for Wisconsin, so the beginning of July


Ryan grilled up a bunch of the vegetables one night and it was AMAZING!! I'm getting so excited for summer just looking at these pictures



This was an accident. Once the zucchini gets this big it's really only good for baking and shredding it up. Our squashes did so good this year. We had zucchini, yellow squash, green squash, patty pan, butternut, acorn and this one that looked like a yellow pumpkin. It just kept on producing, so we had it all summer long  and I still have acorn squash! The cool thing about winter squash, which I learned this past year, is it can last all winter long if it's in a cool place. Again, I just leave it on the sun room and it preserves them great.


We tried growing cantaloupe and watermelon this year and didn't quite make it. They started growing pretty good but was were about a month too late. If we would've had a month more of warm weather I think the melons would've made it. We were able to do it in Georgia but maybe we'll try to start them earlier this year.

We had a great pumpkin turnout!! I loved the little pumpkins and had them in the house all the way til I put up the Christmas decorations

I "canned "a bunch of jalapenos which were awesome! These could only stay in the fridge because we didnt have a pressure cooker so that's why I said they were "canned." Ryans mom gave us a pressure cooker for Christmas which we're stoked about! Now we can can (haha) vegetables. I froze a bunch of green beans and shredded squash this year but next year we can do so much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment